Local 6-505 Union History
The History of Local 6-505M
In 1892, the Artist, Engravers, and Designers League organized.
In 1898, the Stone and Plate Prepare Association formed.
In 1899, the Pressman’s Union founded the Local 6C in the St. Louis area and remained so until 1989, during which time the local 6C absorbed several trades.
In 1900, the International Protective Association of Lithographic Feeders was created.
By 1912, the Artists, Engravers and Designers Leaguer broadened its scope and formed the International Union of Lithographic Workmen whose goal was joining all the lithographic organizations in one amalgamated union, which was successfully done in April of 1915 when we become the Amalgamated Lithographers of America, Local 5. The first International President of International Protective and Benevolent Association was a member from St. Louis Local 5, Jack Hamilton.
There was also another organization in St. Louis that has its beginning in the 1898. It was known as the Photoengravers Local 10, and was chartered by the International typographical Union. This Local’s operation paralleled Local 5 in many respects and in 1917, a brother member by the name of Henry Schmal became the new International Secretary – Treasurer.
On July 3, 1983, the Graphic Arts International Union and the International Printing Press Union merged to create the Communication International Union.
In 1989, Local 6C merged with Local 409S to become Local 6M.
In January of 2001, Local 6M and Local 505 of the GCIU merged to create Local 6-505M.
In 2005, the GCIU merged with the International Brotherhood Teamsters, to become the Graphic Communications Conference International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Currently, our union is the Local 6-505M of the GCC/IBT.
Page Last Updated: May 21, 2012 (16:51:40)